1 whole chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut into frying pieces and de-skinned
Salt and cayenne pepper
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups chopped onions
1 cup chopped green bell peppers
1 cup chopped celery
2 cup okra (frozen or fresh)
10 cups chicken broth
2 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1 link of kielbasa sausage, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices
1. Season the chicken generously with salt and sprinkle with cayenne pepper.
2. Combine the oil and flour in a large, heavy pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Stirring slowly and constantly, make a roux the color of chocolate. (For about 20-30 min)
3. Add the onions, bell peppers, and celery, and cook, stirring, until they are soft, 10 to 12 minutes.
4. Add the chicken broth. Stir to blend, and bring to a gentle boil.
5. Add the chicken. Add the bay leaves and thyme, and cook at a gentle boil for 1 hour.
6. Add the susage and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is very tender, an hour longer.
7. Add okra and cook for 10 minutes.
8. Adjust seasoning to taste. Simply add more chicken broth or water to adjust thickness.