1 long Japanese eggplant or 3 small Italian eggplants, cut lengthwise into 1/3-inch-thick slices
1 green or red bell pepper, cut into strips
2 cups spaghetti sauce
1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
Salt and pepper
9 3-by-6 1/2-inch lasagna noodles
2 cups low-fat cottage cheese
1 large egg
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese and some extra to sprinkle on top.
1. Preheat the oven to 400°.
2. Grill or pan fry eggplant with 4 tablespoons oil until soft and set aside.
3. Grill or pan fry bell pepper with oil until tender and set aside.
4. In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the noodles, stirring often, until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain the noodles and rinse with cold water.
5. Combine spaghetti sauce with diced tomatos.
6. Combine egg, cottage cheese, parmesan cheese and mozarella cheese.
7. Layer 3 noodles on bottom of baking dish. Layer half of the cottage cheese mixture, half of the eggplant, bell pepper slices. Spoon 1/3 of tomato sauce mixture over and top with 3 more noodles. Layer with the remaining cottage cheese mixture and eggplant and bell pepper, 1/3 of the tomato sauce and the remaining 3 noodles. Spread the remaining tomato sauce on top and place tin foil to cover the lasagna.
6. Bake for 35 minutes. Remove the foil, sprinkle the remaining mozzarella and 2 tablespoons parmesan on top and bake until bubbly, about 10 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.