1 pound fresh lotus root
1 tablespoon each soy sauce and white vinegar
2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1. Peel lotus root, discard both ends, and cut in 1/8-inch-thick slices.
2. Place in cold water to prevent discoloring, but drain before cooking.
3. Bring a pan of water to boiling. Add lotus root and cook for 3 minutes. Lotus root should be crisp-tender.
4. In a plastic bag, mix the soy, vinegar, sugar, salt, and sesame oil.
5. Place drained lotus root in the bag and seal.
6. Refrigerate, turning bag occasionally to distribute marinade, for at least 1 hour or as long as 8 hours.